Friday, January 13, 2012

How to Save Money On Shampoo

Couple nights ago, around 9:45 p.m., I decided I couldn't take it anymore. It was time to clean out the closet in the bathroom downstairs.

Threw out two tubes of old mascara , a pillowcase of cotton balls (had 'em for seven years and never found a use) and more than one bottle of expired vitamins. I kept the Vicodin cuz a) it hadn't expired and b) you never know when you're gonna pull a trapezius muscle and need that stuff. Also gave myself permission to toss that sample lipstick that came in an Estee Lauder gift bag (free with a purchase of a bottle of perfume) two years ago.

Then I gathered up all the bottles of lotion, body wash, bubble bath, shampoo and conditioner and put them on a closet shelf. Ditto for the seven almost-empty bottles of Bath 'n' Bodyworks liquid hand soap. Found several bars of Mickey Mouse soap and trial-size toiletries. Up on the shelf they went. Forget clipping coupons. I'm gonna use up what I already have. Who knows what treasures await in the upstairs bathroom? I haven't even checked that closet.

Often, when I'm at the grocery store's beauty aisle, I think, surely, we must be out of SOMETHING. And then there's that impulse buy of vanilla mint conditioner that I MUST have to tame my luxurious fur. And, I can't very well buy vanilla mint conditioner without vanilla mint shampoo, now can I? That usually snowballs into buying some bubble bath. Then I think of all that steamy water drying out my skin, so I get some overpriced Neutrogena bath oil or head down to the organic aisle for an even pricier acacia/grapefruit/goat milk skin-soothing potion. And then I think, well, shoot, I need a new headband, too. And, the thing is, I'm at the grocery store where I should just be buying GROCERIES not toiletries, but the grocery store is right across the street and Target is wayyy down the pike, and, well, that's how you end up with a closet shelf full of half-used toiletries. But, this year is gonna be different. I'm using up that stuff before I buy new. That's how I'm gonna save money on shampoo in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment