Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I am thankful for Michael Douglas

Sometimes, when I'm feeling snarky and mean as hell, I have to get out my little red notebook and write down a few things I'm thankful for:

1. I'm thankful for the lunch I packed that isn't very appetizing. The alternative could be no food at all. Back when I was a starving artist in Nashville, I gathered the change from my piggy bank so I could buy a can of soup for the day. I bought the soup and was walking back to my car when a homeless man asked me if I had any money. I gave him a handful of dimes (cuz I thought the pennies would be too insulting).

2. Just the other day, I was making funny faces in the mirror when I noticed my grey roots. I felt old and upset with myself that I hadn't gotten around to calling up the beauty shop. Then, I thought about the guy from Spenser for Hire who lost all his hair during chemo. I should be thankful for my hair, roots and all. I bet Michael Douglas is.

3. I was having a good time walking through the Salvation Army trying to find funny clothes to make a Halloween costume. Then, I saw families there shopping for their everyday clothes.

4. Sunday night, I was sitting on the couch upset that I got only 200 cable channels instead of 600. Then, I noticed my bookshelves, full of books I haven't read. So, I miss some must-see TV. So what. What was my favorite show five years ago? 10 years ago? I have no idea. But, I can tell you all about my favorite books (that's a post for another day).

5. I broke a bowl. I was mad until I counted up how many bowls I have. There are 17 left. I think I will get by. We all will.

No comments:

Post a Comment